Thursday, July 29, 2010

Antioquia "My Piano Ate the Front Page of the San Francisco Chronicle"



It's not every day one discovers an album this solid and unique by complete accident, but that's pretty much what happened to me late one night whilst sleeplessly browsing Bandcamp's list of California artists. Intrigued by its lengthy title, I decided to give Antioquia's album a spin (hmm...in the age of digital distribution, is that term even appropriate anymore?).

However, this album may not be for everyone. First of all, it's pretty long (clocking in at just over 76 minutes). Secondly, with songs about the inherent evil and greedy nature of the human species ("Humans Do") and how "The Oakland police budget consumes 43% of the city's general funds" (actual lyrics, "Police Brutality"), Antioqia make no qualms about wearing their sociopolitical badges on their sleeves. In this way, they seem right at home in the Bay Area.

However, the message (however important it may be) is never heavy-handed and never gets in the way of the music, which is EXACTLY what reeled me in here. MPAtFPotSFC is, in short, a whole lot of fun to listen to. The eclectic instrumentation straddles the lines between indie/experimental, Afro beat and jam rock. On many of these tracks, guitars, bass, piano, and percussion join forces in such a way to provide an angular-yet-funky backdrop for singer "Mana" Maddy Streicek's impassioned, soulful wails.

With music so exciting and loose, it's apparent that Antioquia is best experienced shoes off, dancing in the grass at an outdoor summer music festival. I felt strangely out of place, listening to this album on my shitty laptop, sitting alone in my uncomfortably humid bedroom. I kept considering pausing iTunes and relocating myself and my laptop into my back yard and smoking a bowl (using solar beams via magnifying lens, naturally). Perhaps I still will. - Matt

Listen to "High-End Logistics"

No comments:

Post a Comment