Thursday, July 29, 2010

Memes "Awww Shucks!"


Download Awww Shucks!

I wanted to call a band "Memes". That's how this all began. I thought it was original and clever, and had a lot of staying power in today's post (present?) YouTube/Digg/4Chan world. Most of all, I thought it would inspire me to get a hip, scene oriented "indie" band together...and perhaps even get laid.

But it was not to be. Myspace graciously informed me that there were at least 200 other bands with some variation on the word "Memes" in their name. Myspace also graciously led me to the page of San Francisco breakbeat/IDM band, also called Memes.

All I can say is this band is worthy of the name. They can have it, and I won't complain. In fact, all other bands calling themselves "Memes" should immediately find new band names. Memes' album Awww Shucks! is (according to Bandcamp) a collection of tracks recorded between 2004 and 2006, finally mastered in 2010. If this is true, and this is the music they were making back 4 -6 years ago, then Memes are already ahead of the curve, miles beyond their musical peers, forging exciting new paths in the electronic/sample-driven music landscape.

Awww Shucks! features some of the most sonically diverse, chill-inducing instrumental music. Most of what you hear (about 90%) are sounds sampled from old vinyl jazz, funk and soul records, which gives the album an instantly timeless vibe and makes what I'm hearing all the more impressive. The artists Memes borrows from aren't rolling over in their graves (if they're even deceased), they're bobbing their heads!

From start to finish, this record is thoroughly enjoyable, stimulating and relaxing. I'm not going to go into any more specifics, you just need to hear it for yourself. I only wish this awesome LP had more eye-grabbing artwork. - Matt

Listen to "Pinochle Sandwich"

No comments:

Post a Comment